MFA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ / Q&A)
- Does MFA change the way I log into my computer/laptop/VDI?
- No. MFA is only used for Rivier email and other Office 365 services such as OneDrive.
- Does MFA affect how I log into Canvas?
- No. You can still log into Canvas with just your Rivier username and password.
- Will I need to enter a code from my phone every time I log into email?
- No. You can choose to sign into your email for up to 60 days (per location) before it prompts you to re-verify.
- Will I need to use MFA to check email on my phone?
- Yes. You will be prompted every 60 days to enter a code even on your mobile phone.
- What happens if I forget my mobile phone?
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will temporarily disable MFA for you.
- How do I log into shared mailboxes?
- Nothing changes. You can still find your shared mailboxes in Outlook, or open them through Outlook on the web.
Note: If you are using a separate username and password to log into a shared mailbox, please contact us right away!
- I don’t have a mobile phone or do not wish to use it.
- Not a problem. Please set up MFA by choosing “Call me” and enter your direct office number.
Note: You will not be able to check email from other locations with this method.
- Can I use a personal email address?
- No. You cannot use a personal email address with MFA. However, you can download the free Microsoft Authenticator app to receive push notifications instead of text messages. If you are on our Rivier wireless network, there is no charge to use this app.
- I want to learn more about the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Microsoft Authenticator is a free app that can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. After configuring the app, you can verify by receiving a “push” notification on your screen. Simply press “Approve” on your phone’s screen and you are logged in! There are no codes to type and you don’t have to receive any text messages. IT can help you set it up, or you can set it up yourself by visiting this site: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-microsoft-authenticator-with-office-365-1412611f-ad8d-43ab-807c-7965e5155411
For step-by-step setup instructions, please click here.
- Does checking email on my phone change?
- MFA may not support the iPhone built-in “Mail” app. iPhone users will need to download the Outlook mobile app. You will also want to remove your Rivier account from Mail by heading to Settings -> Accounts & Passwords, selecting your Rivier email, and clicking Delete Account. NOTE: Some iPhones users have reported that they can make email work in the built-in Mail app by deleting their Rivier account (Settings -> Accounts & Passwords) and re-adding it.Android phone users can continue using Outlook.
- Can Rivier University spy on my phone usage if I install the Authenticator app or use text messaging?
- No. Rivier University does not and cannot monitor your phone usage or location history.
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.