My computer will not turn on.
Please try some basic troubleshooting steps first:
- Check to make sure it is plugged in and that the power strip is powered on (if using one)
- Try to power cycle your PC: unplug it from the power, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in
- Hold your power button for about 10 seconds until it powers completely off, wait 10 additional seconds, then try to power it back on
- Make sure air can circulate around your PC or laptop so that it does not overheat. If it overheats, it will shut down and will not turn on until it has cooled down. This is common for laptops if you are using the in your lap, as doing so can block the air vents.
- If you still continue to have issues with it not turning on, please submit a ticket via email@example.com for local support.
If your PC powers on, but does not boot, try the following:
- Power off your PC. Wait 10 seconds. Turn it back on, but press the F8 key repeatedly while it turns on. You will see a menu. Select Safe Mode at the Advanced Boot Options menu. If that works, then you can do additional troubleshooting. Most likely, it is a recent change to your computer (drivers/software/system update) or malware. At worst, you can usually use your computer in this mode well enough to back up any important data to a USB flash drive.
Still stuck? Please contact the help desk for further assistance. Call (603) 897-8469 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Was this post helpful?
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.